Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekend of Week 7

August 20, Saturday
WorkoutBike ~15 miles in Manhattan @ Summer Street, Alley Pond to Cunningham Park back to Alley Pond Park, play 1 hour outdoor volleyball
Summer Street was an awesome time in NYC when they close off most of Park Ave (from Brooklyn Bridge up to 72nd Street) so people can walk, run, skate, or bike on the streets of Manhattan w/o the risk of injury from reckless cars. It was great! I've never done it before so it was super exciting to bring my bike out to Manhattan for the 1st time & ride. We did have some traffic lights that we had to stop at & at certain points it was congested w/ bikers & walkers alike, but for the most part, it was awesome. I rode by the Met Life building/Grand Central Terminal area w/ the tunnel & was speeding on the bend. I've never thought I would be able to do that, EVER! A normal person would never ride there on a typical day because cars/taxis are reckless & that bend is pretty dangerous w/ the way NYC drivers drive sometimes. But today it was safe for me. It was absolutely exhilarating! Too bad it’s the last week of Summer Street (only 3 weeks every summer). But I’m definitely coming back next year to do it all 3 weekends. I can’t wait!

August 21, Sunday
Workout – 1 hour Pilates class @ Movements Afoot
I like the studio the 1st time I visited. It’s small & intimate. This is my 2nd visit but it was my first time using the Reformer machine for Pilates. It was a totally new experience for me. I really like how the equipment works different parts of you body in a totally new way. My friend didn’t like the teacher’s quirkiness & her lack of understanding that not everyone is an intermediate/advanced student. I was just excited to learn the different techniques of the Reformer. Initially, I didn’t feel the tension in the movements, but I later found out she had put my machine on a low resistant band. We later changed it & I was able to work up a good sweat & felt I was utilizing all my muscles trying to do the different Pilates moves. I bought a Gilt City deal awhile back so I’ll be coming back for 4 more equipment classes & I can’t wait to do more core work.

No comments:

Post a Comment