Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Month 1 - Crossfit Day 4 after 10 days off

July 11, Monday
Workout – Crossfit class (45 min) – It’s been 10 days since I took the 3 day Fundamentals class, so I was really nervous going into a regular class. To be honest, I felt like throwing up thinking about the class, but I sucked it up & headed to the class. There were about 7 ppl in class. We did our own warm-up on the side while the previous class finished their WOD. Then we got to do 3-3-3-3-3 Back Squats. We kept adding weight to the bar until we feel challenged by it while doing the back squats. I ended up w/ 74lbs which is more than I had expected to be able to do, so that was great. We did 5 sets of 3. We learned to do GHD sit-ups. GHD is the machine we use (Glutes-Hamstring Developer). We have our legs in & bent when we lay down, but we straighten our legs as we shoot upright. This will work out our hip flexors. I didn’t really feel it in my hip flexors, more on my knees, which didn’t feel right, but as I did more, the pressure on my knees lessened. I also asked a gym at the gym on how to do pull-ups w/ the bands & doing the kipping motion. I couldn’t do the kipping motion using the bands. The band kept shooting my leg all over the place, but I was able to just stand on the band & do regular pull-ups.

WOD – 12 minute AMRAP (as many reps are possible) – 9 Kettlebell (26lb), 12 Hand-Release Push-Ups (on knees), 15 Box Jumps (18”). My Results: 6 sets + 9 Kettlebell + 5 Hand-Release Push-Ups.

This workout was actually doable for me. The hand-release push-ups were awkward since you have to get down to the floor, & then release your hand before you push up again. My arms are still pretty weak, but I will continue to work on it. My right shoulder issues from volleyball seem to have subsided ever since I started Crossfit. I think I’m strengthening my shoulders so the pain is no longer present. I hope I never feel the shoulder pains again. I would lay on my right arm to sleep & I’d have pain. I would just leave the arm out & it was in pain. Now I haven’t felt the pain in over 2 weeks which is great. The kettlebell & box jumps are decently easy but still challenging. I felt pretty good after the work-out & it has helped to make going to the gym less nerve-racking. There were 2 other ladies in the class that were newbies (they took the 1 mth fundamentals course) so I wasn’t alone. I told the trainer that I'll try to come in 4 days a week. We'll see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment