Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Crossfit Day 1 - Fundamentals Crash Course

June 28th, Tuesday
Workout - 1st day of 3-day Fundamentals Course (45 mins) – got there a little late due to getting lost & gps failing. Started w/ Mobility stretches to warm-up, then learned squats. Air Squats – regular squats w/ arm raised in front of you, Squats w/ a bar on your back, Squats w/ a bar in front of you & Overhead Squats using a bar overhead & your arms locked. I was able to do the first 3 okay, but the Overhead Squats w/ the lightweight PVC pipe was easy, when I used the bar, it was too heavy for me & my knees wanted to thrust forward. So I need to strengthen my arms & legs. We learned how to use the kettlebell. You basically thrust your hips to swing the kettlebell, not use your arms. We learned to do reverse lunges & push-ups (entire chest touches the ground). After learning the basics, we did our first WOD (Workout of the Day).

WOD 21-15-9 – Reverse lunges (2 for 1 each leg counts as ½) w/ 10lb ball weight overhead, kettlebell swing (10lb), push-ups. My Time: 9:01 minutes.

So we’d do 21 reps of all 3 exercises, then 15 reps, then 9 reps for a total of 45 reps for each exercise. Sounds easier than it really is. I was doing okay w/ the lunges but it got really tiring holding the weight overhead. The kettlebell is the easiest of the 3 exercises. Then the push-ups. I started doing full push-ups for the first set. My arms were nearly failing already. For the 2nd set, I was much slower. The weight overhead was really killing me, but I moved forward. I did knee push-ups since my arms were wiggly. The last set was tough, but I got through it. It took me 9:01 minutes. I was the 3rd to last person out of 7 ppl. (1 older woman had a modified workout so she finished really quickly so she doesn’t count). It was tough, very tough, but I got through it. My arms felt like putty afterwards, my knees were all brown w/ dirt from the push-ups I did. I hope I get stronger & faster as we progress. We were given notebooks to track our performance & I nearly couldn’t even write because my muscles were so exhausted. All in all, it was a good first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment