Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kyoto Sushi

Kyoto Sushi (Japanese & Thai)
153-11 Union Turnpike
Flushing, NY 11355
718-380-7777

I've been going to Kyoto Sushi in Flushing, Queens ever since it opened a few years back. I've been going for so long that I can't even remember when they opened. They only get better with time. They started off w/ just the restaurant, then expanded next door to have private rooms for parties & gatherings, & soon, they will be offering catering services.

They offer these cute tatami rooms that gives you some privacy. You will need to take off your shoes. There will be a drawer right outside for you to place your shoes. I love the tatami rooms when I have a larger group w/ me. You should call to make a reservation to ensure you get a tatami because they can fill up fast.
On the other side of the restaurant, they have opened up private events room. It is also sometimes used for really large parties (of 20 ppl or more) for regular dining. It's a lovely space & offers many amenities if needed. It's great to hold bridal or baby showers, birthday parties, engagement parties, etc.

The food is always fresh at Kyoto Sushi. They have an authentic Thai chef to prepare the Thai foods. They have specially trained Japanese chefs for the fresh sushi that they get straight from the hangar. I know this only because I've had many conversations w/ the brothers who own & run the restaurant.

If raw fish is not your cup of tea, they also offer many cooked foods that can stave off your hunger: soups, salads, spring rolls, dumplings, yakitori, tempura, pad thai, fried rice, teriyaki, curries, noodle soups, stri-fried noodle, Kyoto steak, tamarind fish, fried ice cream, mochi & so much more. I'm drooling as I'm writing this.

I've tried many of the dishes they offer. My go-to appetizer is always the Tuna Pizza. It's not listed on the menu, but is sometimes listed on the specials menu located at the table. When in doubt, just ask the waiter for an order of the Tuna Pizza. It is delectable. Fresh tuna atop a pizza "crust" similar to Chinese pancake or a crispy Indian bread. They have 2 variations of the tuna pizza depending on the day. The one I love has avocado (like guacamole) and drizzled with a mayo-type sauce. It is SOOO good. It's my absolute favorite. I can eat this dish as my main entree.

They make a nice Pad Thai, but my favorite noodle dish has to be the Thai Angel. It's my other go-to dish. I do also love their Pineapple Fried Rice & Masaman Curry. Those are a few other dishes I would order if I'm in a group. I like to taste a little bit of everything.

They offer great value lunch specials as well. You can do take-out, get delivery (limited delivery area), or just eat in. They are super affordable for fresh & delicious food.

I love all the special rolls they offer. The Pink Lady & Dragon rolls are always crowd pleasers. I especially love the Scorpion King roll as well as the King Kong roll. Their regular rolls are also tasty as well. I am bias to the Spicy tuna & Spicy salmon rolls.

To please a large group, I normally would order The Royal Cruise which includes 28 pieces sashimi, 15 pieces sushi & 3 chef's special roll. For a smaller group, I'd order the Kyoto Love Boat which includes 18 pieces sashimi, 10 pieces sushi & 2 chef's special roll.

There's so many things to try that I can always find something new to try out on the menu. Don't forget the desserts. My bf's favorite is the Thai Style Fried Banana w/ Honey. He loves all things w/ bananas. I love the Fried Green Tea Tempura Ice Cream. I have a thing for anything w/ Green tea.

Try it out if you are in the neighborhood. There aren't many places in Queens where you can get fresh sushi for such a fabulous price. The waiters are friendly & always very helpful. The food is definitely worth trying out. You'll love it just as much as I do & will become a regular customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment